Around the world, those who suffer from mental health disorders like anxiety, depression, bi-polar disorder, PTSD, and schizophrenia often hide their issues. They do this because they fear being rejected and labeled. However, this is simply the unfortunate result of a lack of exposure. Therefore, in order to change the perception of mental health issues, these issues must be bravely discussed. Exposing these issues and discussing them helps us understand them, overcome them and ensures our futures include being surrounded by understanding and supportive people and dramatically improves the treatment process.
When deciding to discuss a mental health issue, keep the following guidelines in mind:
Determine what you value the most:
• Do I value my privacy?
• Do I value my honesty?
Have a goal in mind when deciding on who to tell:
• Am I looking for encouragement and support?
• Do I feel overwhelmed and burdened by keeping it secret?
• Does my boss need to understand why I need my breaks?
Weigh the pros and cons of the outcome of your discussion:
• What good things could happen from having a discussion?
• Will it bring me closer to that person?
• Will it help my boss to understand how to get the most out of me?
• What bad things could happen from having a discussion?
• Will I lose their friendship?
• Will I endanger my job?
Opening up to anyone can be scary. But, it is usually very rewarding. Expressing yourself makes it easier for others to understand and help. Teaching things to others is also a great way to learn more about yourself. Despite this, sometimes it is still very difficult to do. To make it easier, try one of these ways to get the ball rolling:
• Just add it to a conversation you are already having
• Bring it up when something related occurs on its own
• Explain it as if it were the doctor’s orders to talk about it, and you are just following their instructions
• Explain it during a serious, pre-planned sit-down discussion
It is important to remember that nobody should try to handle everything on their own. Talking about a mental health issue is only one part of treatment. It is also important to combine it with professional help like cognitive behavioral therapy, or medications like antidepressants and ketamine infusions.
Contact Elysian MD
Elysian MD offers ketamine infusions and lifestyle medicine for a comprehensive approach towards renewed mental health. Contact us today to learn more about how we can support you on your journey towards health and wellbeing.